Sister Abigail Cannon

Sister Abigail Cannon is serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the England London Mission. She began her service on July 26, 2006, leaving from her home of Provo, Utah. This Blog is a record of her missionary service.

Thursday, December 13, 2007

E-mail - December 13, 2007

"Feliz Navidad! I received your Thanksgiving/Christmas packages yesterday and they are really wonderful. I love the halo headbands and all the ornaments and the wonderfully decorated Christmas tree from the ward. I am so blessed. We had a really overwhelming (in good and bad ways) appointment in the morning. Interviews with the President in the afternoon and Dinner at Nando's (yummy South African style food) in the evening. Along with your packages I also received a lot of really shocking wedding announcements. Sister McKeen and Sister Anyanwu (she is marrying Elder Kittlesen, the AP!). Also a Christmas Card from the Brummers informing me that Tessa is married. I can't believe how fast life goes. I still feel like I'm ten, riding bikes and scraping my knees!

It's been very, very cold lately. I had some really good experiences this week. One comes in miracle form and I will try my best in the limited time (I recorded a full story on tape so don't fret). We met a woman on the street that was really interested in meeting with us but couldn't set a time but gave us her address and phone number. I say that like it happens all the time. We were working in her area and thought we would just stop by. The first part went really well. She had met members in the Ivory Coast and knew a little about the Church. After a while though we could feel a change and she began to lecture us about the hopeless world we live in. Not an unusual view of those in her situation especially without the Gospel. We prayed with her, and politely excused ourselves. Still feeling we were drawn to her for some reason we planned to tract the rest of her road. On our "last door" a Phillipino woman flung open the door and exclaimed: "You're late! You should have come yesterday! I'm going to the Phillipines tomorrow! Come with me to pick up my grandson. It's too cold in this country to stand.," Her enthusiasm surprised us and we walked with her part of the way, chatting mostly about how the Phillipines is going to be much nicer weather for Christmas. Just before we needed to not be walking with her anymore, I noticed she wasn't wearing any gloves and I quickly gave her mine (I think it was the maroon pair you gave me last year, because that morning I couldn't find my warm Thinsulate glittens) with a leaflet and we went the other way. Not a thought of regret in my mind for giving her my gloves but having very cold hands. LESS THAN A MINUTE LATER, the Ivory Coast woman opened her window and yelled, "Sister, Sister, you have left your gloves here!" God is good and he really does take care of us. I love it.

Things are going very well and to answer some of your questions, I don't really have any idea if I am going to be moved or not. We find out on Monday and then we get to go to the temple. If we move, we move on Friday, but by my next e-mail I should know what number you need to call and when. I can't believe six months has passed since I last spoke to you, can you? I had a minor freak out over Anne's prego-ness. I call Dibs on Favorite Aunt. I may be taking up Woobers offer to live in DC. That is if the bike trip I'm planning with Julia Goeple across the URU falls through. The truth is, I will go where the Lord wants me to go now and forever.

I'll send the details to Sister McKeens wedding if you would like to make an appearance. I'm sure she'd love to talk to you and there will probably be loads of my "mission buddies" there to chat and hear the stories I can't write about.

I love you all and the Church continues to be true. There is no need to write endure to the end in quotations, it's quite validly the fifth principle of the gospel and don't you worry, I will. Love, Sister Cannon"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home