Sister Abigail Cannon

Sister Abigail Cannon is serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the England London Mission. She began her service on July 26, 2006, leaving from her home of Provo, Utah. This Blog is a record of her missionary service.

Monday, January 21, 2008

E-mail - January 17, 2008

"These e-mails are supposed to be an accurate account of an entire week of my life and they end up being a small summary of my present emotions! Before I attempt to capsulize the last seven days, I'll just tell you that at the moment I'm a bit shaken up because I just lost my wallet. (I think I left it on the train so I'm not panicking, but still).

My little missionary world is becoming so comfortable (probably dangerously so). There is good news. Sharon and Marion have been found worthy to be baptized on the 26 January, 18 months to the day I touched down in this country. I am so happy for them. They have worked very hard and the ward really loves them. We are struggling to keep the pool full and I feel a renewed commitment from the ward to help us out.

Last night I attended the Ipswich Stake Priesthood meeting! The full time missionaries were invited to train on the use of Preach My Gospel. It was wonderful. A very spiritual experience, as was my interview with President. We also received training from the Zone Leaders and other missionaries (Elder Smith from South Africa and um, me) on the Atonement. Pres. Foulger has really stressed that we focus our studies and our teachings on the Atonement. In everything we do, refer to and remember it. It's exactly what we need. I'm sure you've read the quote from Joseph Smith that "all aspects of the gospel are appendages to the Atonement." It is the real thing. All suffering, all pain, all sin, for every human that walks the earth. All means all. Every means every.

Which brings me to the "other" news. There is no point in calling anything bad. Like Dad always says, "There's no bad news." anyway, rushing home late from an appointment Sunday night we got a call from President Foulger that Sister Besso's brother had passed away. He actually had had MS since he was 18 and was 30 when he died. She's handling it well, but I guess what else is she supposed to do? I've been at a bit of a loss to help her. I know the Lord is definitely helping us. What a wonderful place to mourn? In the service of God, literally in His Hand. It's great to belong to the only true church and to have the Holy Ghost all the time. There is wisdom in this, I know it and she knows it. Especially now. The Atonement is real, really real.

We sat in St. Andrew's cathedral. It was pouring rain and we reflected on what it means to atone. It was not the first restoration-gratitude moment of the week. Monday night we attended a special "science meets faith" seminar at Wesley Methodist Church. It's a beautiful church about two minutes from where we live. We meet people that go there for the "lovely windows". It was an interesting discussion. (I in no way want to offend anyone). I really agreed with the priest for most of it aside from his "I am so smart" attitude, but that's just normal. It wasn't until the Q and A portion that I began to appreciate how badly everyone needed the Restoration. In his answering a question about "facts" he said that "Truth is often more important than facts" and when questioned further about what is truth, he admitted that he was tempted to just quote "the Creed"!! I couldn't believe it! so lost! I was filled with charity for them and it actually made me quite sad. I loved them so much. We have all the answers or at least how to find them. We are so blessed. I am so humbled by it. I am humbled to represent the Church of Jesus Christ and not the one with pretty windows. (Does that sound mean?) No disrespect. It just strengthened my testimony so much that Joseph Smith really was a prophet and we really have the restored truth. It's amazing.

So, that's what's been going on. A lot, I know. I'm grateful for every breath. Love, Sister Cannon"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home