Sister Abigail Cannon

Sister Abigail Cannon is serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the England London Mission. She began her service on July 26, 2006, leaving from her home of Provo, Utah. This Blog is a record of her missionary service.

Thursday, July 26, 2007

E-mail - July 26, 2007


"Happy Pioneer Day indeed. For some reason I cannot access my mail. A blessing perhaps so that I am not distracted with all the news about your Pioneer day festivities, probably something of a barbeque, and I can tell you all about how on the 24th all my appointments canceled and we had 8 1/2 hours of knocking doors and making phone calls. I will tell you about 2 of the most interesting people I have met on my mission.

A woman named Julianne. We knocked on her door one of our first days here and we thought we'd call by. It was pouring rain at this point and she was nice enough the first time. We had gathered the information she requested about the family history center here and the worst she could do is say no. Julianne is a Christian spiritualist. She hasn't liked what she had heard about the Church -- something about black people and we respected her request to not talk about it. She did let us in and we did pray with her. She put some blue protective light around us so that wouldn't get wet and after the prayer she explained to me that I was accompanied by an Old man, a Native American in traditional garb holding a peace pipe. He was happy with me and wanted me to keep up in the work. I don't really know what to think about that. When she first said old man I pictured Grandpa Cannon, but I don't know. I would like to think there are people with me doing this that "unseen power will aid me and you in the glorious cause of truth" but I don't know why God would give Julianne the ability to see them.

The other I will have to give less detail but it was a sister named Betty. We stood in her garden right by the sea talking to her about half an hour. She was really afraid when she finally got what we were saying. I loved her a whole bunch. What a way to finish my last fresh week of my mission. I have had a wonderful week. We did a lot and our teaching pool is growing a little. The work is a bit different from my other areas. The ward is treating us well. I love the members that we have worked with so far. It's so strange to think that exactly one year ago I was entering the MTC. It feels like an eternity and a day all at once. God has blessed me so much. Sometimes when I wake up before the alarm I have time to sit and ponder on the people I have met. The faces that have touched my heart. It sounds cheesy, but I wouldn't trade any of it. Yesterday morning it became especially valuable to me. I wish it could last forever. Anyway, the Church is true, keep studying, keep praying. I love you all. Sister Cannon."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home